Welcome

Visit us online at www.minimethodists.org.

Monday, January 14, 2013

What's Really In a Word? (part 1)

I heard it on the radio at the beginning of 2012.  The speakers talking about a "word" for the year.  The idea was to ask God for a word that would help them focus their spiritual growth throughout the year.  I listened...thought it was a good idea...and went on about my day.

As I approached the new year the idea came to mind again.  What word would I pick?  Could this be a family idea?  A word that meant a lot to each of us...a word to focus family devotionals on...to discuss at the dinner table?  

It is the first week of January and I haven't received any inspiration about this "word".  I even asked the family at supper one night if they could think of a word.  Mostly I got blank stares.  So I asked them to think about it.

The second week begins and I read my favorite blog.  The author says that there are three things everyone must do in the new year:  pick a word to focus on, choose a scripture memorization project for the year, and count 1000 gifts.  Since I already had chosen what I would memorize and had begun my counting before I read the post, I felt ahead of the game.

But though I thought long and hard, prayed, asked...nothing felt right.  I even asked my family a second time if they had any ideas.  Still...no word came that had me exclaiming, "That's it!"  And so...I wait.

While I wait won't you join me?  Maybe you have a word for you or your family.  Drop it in the comments...I want to hear from you.