Welcome

Visit us online at www.minimethodists.org.

Monday, December 7, 2015

Lunch Lessons

Way...way back before we had this church building and there were only about thirty kids on Wednesdays I would draw a name and take them lunch at school. This year it sort of started as an after thought...a means to encourage kids in their good behavior. The grand prize, which doesn't seem so grand to me, is the lunch of your choice with me. Each week I've drawn a name from the tickets and each week I've learned lessons as I enter schools throughout our community.

Here's my top ten lunch lessons.

1.  Lunch rooms are LOUD! You might want to be prepared with ear protection or at least a few Tylenol when you depart.

2.  Not much has changed about school lunches. Wednesdays are pizza day and I'm pretty sure it is the same recipe from the years I went to Eastside. We won't go there!

3.  There's this new slushy thing kids like to get. Not sure if it takes the place of ice cream but they seem to love it.

4.  Teachers and school employees are awesome! I've watched them smile, answer questions and eat lunch while standing up. They are patient and giving and for that I am thankful!

5.  Moms still write little notes on napkins and kids really do think its cool even if they don't show it.

6.  Tears over hurt feelings can change in two seconds flat. Kids just don't hold grudges.

7.  Amidst the noise and chaos you might have to lean in close to the shy one you took lunch to or you might miss the thank you he wants to express.

8.  Young ones are quite sure of what they want to eat. Down to the number of ranch packets its gonna take to get the right amount of condiment on each chicken strip. Not me, at least twice a day I ask, "What should we eat for lunch...or supper?"

9.  Having lunch with a young one is time well spent. Each Monday as I prepare my day and add this thirty minute block for lunch at school I realize it might just be the best investment of time I make all day.

10.  This lunch thing is not really about lunch at all. Its about the conversation and feeling special. If we are brave enough to admit it we love those moments when we feel special in some way. Kids do too.

I sat at the end of the table with five little boys a few weeks back. The one I brought lunch to sat beside me while the others gathered 'round. We discussed their favorite hobbies, and movies, and how many siblings they had. They told me all kinds of little boy things.

"What's the word for today Mrs. Stacy?" he asked while the others looked a little confused.  Each week there is a mystery word at mini-Methodists. The challenge is to be the first to figure out the word using the letters posted around the church.

"You know I can't tell you the word. But, our lesson today is about David. Do you guys know about the David in the bible.?" The one beside me nodded his head. So he and I told the story to the others. One commented he learned about the bible when he walked to a church in his neighborhood.

This conversation about life and David and church reminded me that there is always someone somewhere who hasn't heard the good news. It is so easy to assume those around us know the stories of the bible. All our friends go to church right? We live in worlds where it seems everyone has heard of the love of Jesus...at least in Jacksonville anyway. But the reality is...they haven't.

The conversation renewed in me this passion to share the story of Jesus with children in our community. It's what we do on Wednesdays. But Wednesdays don't have to be the only place. Wednesdays are just the beginning. We have the opportunity to share at lunch tables and car rides, in between games and coaching moments. Anywhere our kids are there is an opportunity to share Jesus in our actions and our words.  The possibilities are endless.

May the God we serve use our endless possibilities to touch lives and move hearts during this Advent season. May we go and share with others the very reason this is "the most wonderful time of the year"!