Welcome

Visit us online at www.minimethodists.org.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Faith is...

It is the very first scripture I ever planted deep in my heart. At the time I just didn't feel like I had much faith and so I used this scripture to remind myself exactly what the bible says faith is. You'll find it in the book of Hebrews.

Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.--Heb. 11:1

We settle into worship and this clip comes on the screen from the movie UP.


Our speaker asks, "what do you think heaven is like?" 

"Streets of Gold, beautiful... awesome," they respond.

There I sit in my chair on the back row and think... I have no idea. Oh, I know what the bible says heaven is like, but can words really describe that which cannot be described. The kids talked about what would be in heaven, what you might see. I imagined more of a feeling and I realized I've experienced a bit of heaven here today.

A white cross standing in the middle of the lake... hands serving breakfast, lunch, dinner with a smile... two young boys reading scripture during worship... a counselor's tears welling as a grieving camper lets go. I saw God today in a young man's hands raised in worship just weeks after his mom died of cancer... in the welling eyes of someone who understands. I tasted Him in the most delicious yellow watermelon I've ever eaten served by one of my favorite preachers.

I'm pretty sure Lakeview is a lot like heaven, well at least it is how I imagine it. I call it a "thin" place. You know the place where the separation between heaven and earth becomes really small... so thin you might just touch it if you reach up. We need thin places in our lives. It is what builds our faith. We get filled up in these places to the point we can't contain much more.

I'm sure our campers are feeling the same. I'm certain they will never be the same.