Welcome

Visit us online at www.minimethodists.org.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Live By Faith... Not Sight

Wow! It has been a day.  I think I have walked more miles than we drove to get here. Kids unloaded luggage and I watched as they tugged their stuff to the appropriate camp. As I watched them go, I sighed. We made it. We drove right onto holy ground and crossed the bridge... got registered and delivered to our cabins. Two meals have been eaten and at least one snack. I've watched GaGa ball and carpet ball (its new this year). There are kids swinging in hammocks, eating snow cones, and did I mention swimming? Let me tell you, this is the hottest camp I've been to in a long time. It is hot... desert hot.

All in all, it was a good day. Nearing sunset the fifth and sixth graders gathered for worship. Our theme this year is "Walk by faith, not by sight." Our speaker tells us that God calls us to blind faith. She reminds us that every beautiful creation here at camp, the trees and flowers and lakes, is an opportunity to see God. She invites the kids to get centered, close their eyes, feel God's presence, and hear him speaking.

Just as the younger kids finish up I head over to worship at senior high camp. You see, I made this special friend last year. Her mom sings with the praise team and I told her to save me a seat at worship. She stands on the chair beside me and we sing together. The speaker begins and she crawls into my lap and sticks her thumb in her mouth. Three more minutes and she's asleep and my heart is nothing but warm goo.

That my friends is blind faith. Crawling up into some one's lap you've met only once and haven't seen in a year. Holding your blanket and drifting off to sleep while you trust the one holding you will not let you go... blind, blind faith. 

Jesus tells us we must become like little children. We must choose blind faith that walks to the altar and kneels to pray... faith that writes what is holding us back and leaves it crumpled on the altar. Faith that drives you miles from home to spend a week in a foreign place with foreign people and very few electronics for goodness sakes. I've seen faith today in their faces. 

It is just a thought, but we might learn a lesson from my little friend. What would happen if we grabbed our favorite blanket and climbed up into the lap of the author and finisher of our faith? I want the kind of faith that falls fast asleep without a care in the world. I want to trust no matter what He will never let me go. Its a beautiful picture of living by faith. One I will not soon forget.

Lights Out on this first day of camp.

(Join us on our facebook page: FUMC Children's Ministry or follow us on instagram at minimethodists to get pictures of all the fun.)